This first appeared on my Facebook page but I want to expand the audience.
AMERICA will collapse under the weight of TOXIC GREED!
Move back from your computer for a moment because I’m about to explode with a rant that could overheat your system.
Since I have been self-employed all my life and have donated many years to non-profit service we have not had access (funds) to commercial health insurance. Instead, we joined a Christian needs-sharing group (Samaritan Ministries) and send $370 each month to fellow-Christians who had health-related expenses. This has been most rewarding and ALWAYS sufficient for the major (not catastrophic) expenses we’ve encountered along the way. They also have an add-on optional program for those who want catastrophic coverage but we didn’t think we’d need it.
So, now that I find myself in need of a life-saving bone marrow transplant, we are meeting the “enemy” and finding that it is our out-of-control medical industry.
What do I mean?
- Example A: We went for a 75 minute consultation with a physician (Dr. Deeg) at SCCA (Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center) to hear what they could do for me. Later I discovered everything we learned from him in a 15 minute youtube lecture he gave a year ago. Since we didn’t have insurance we had to give a $600 deposit before he would even talk to us, then, today we receive an additional bill for $700.80. No labs, no exam, just words.
- Example B: the financial coordinator met us after the Dr. left to say that we would need to provide $600,000 up front to have the procedure -and, “no, that would not include 4 months housing, transportation, meals” which we’d need to line up so we’re close by for follow-up testing.
- CONTRAST that with the $43,000 price tag we’ve gotten from the top transplant physician in India. A price which includes all testing, procedures, housing for 2, and meals. Oh, that’s right, we’d need to pay for our flights ($2800 for Rebecca and myself roundtrip).
- Example C: not wanting to commit to having it done at SCCA, I still wanted to get the necessary typing-test to find out which of my siblings is the MATCH for my DNA. “Yes, we can start that process for you,” the sweet receptionist at SCCA says. “Since you don’t have insurance we’d need $6000 per sibling plus yourself… up front.” ($30,000 -to help you with the math).
- CONTRAST that with a private internationally-acclaimed bone marrow testing company (located down the road in Portland) who is doing it for $1800. Total. For all 5 of us. (www.bonemarrowtest.com)